NASCO's Cooperative Leadership Certification is a professional development opportunity for those who are looking to advance their role or to start their career in cooperative housing.
Develop a new understanding of leadership from a cooperative lens
- Gain proficiency in NASCO's four cooperative leadership core competencies
- Receive peer feedback on challenges or obstacles in your cooperative community
- Develop a close network of cooperative leaders across the US and Canada
- Complete a final cooperative leadership project or initiative of your choice, with mentorship from NASCO staff
Center your leadership education around four core competencies:
- Cooperative Literacy
Develop a thorough understanding of cooperative systems, policy basics, finances, meeting facilitation, and legal and reporting needs.
- Creativity & Critical Thinking
Learn lateral thinking, productive brainstorming techniques, root cause analysis, self-management, and adaptability.
- Effective Communication
Practice messaging for different stakeholder groups, public speaking, giving trainings and presentations, uplifting the voices of others through democratic process, advanced facilitation techniques, communication across cultures, active listening, and transparency.
- Unlearning Anti-cooperative Leadership
Shift learned ideas of unilateral leadership, the concentration of knowledge, and leadership vs authority. Practice receiving criticism, supporting future leaders, and challenging systems of oppression.
Info sessions for the leadership program have passed. You can watch the recorded session here to learn about NASCO's definition of cooperative leadership, the timeline and content of the program, concrete outcomes, and how to apply. You can also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Aug 1, 2020 | Applications open
Aug 24, 2020 | Applications close
Aug 31, 2020 | Recommendations due
Sept 14, 2020 | Applicants notified of acceptance
Late Sept | Leadership Cohort Orientation (held remotely)