The Icarus Project [TIP] is looking for someone in New York City with a strong background in social justice as well as organizational administration and development who can help us rebuild our organizational structure. TIP is a radical mental health support network and media project that hosts a 12,000-member strong community website, develops publications on mental health, helps people start local support groups, offers popular education, and much more. We are a beloved community for thousands of people who are not only alienated from the mainstream psychiatric system, but who believe that the people who struggle with mental health issues have an important role to play in changing the world. We are currently in the process of building an advisory board and expanding our programming. We are a non-profit project with a fiscal sponsor. We do not have our own 501(c)3 status.
We are initially hiring for a 6-month commitment at 20 hours per week. Ideal candidate can start. You will have the opportunity to stay on long-term and become a co-director if you are the right fit. You will be working in a decentralized collective with one Icarus staff member in NYC, and the rest scattered across the US. People of color, queer, transgender, and gender variant people, people with disabilities, working class people, and people with lived experience of mental health challenges are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Extremely organized
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and energy for adapting to changing circumstances
- Capacity to self-direct, work autonomously, and identify and initiate work
- Capacity to collaborate, work as part of a team, and receive instructions and direction
- Ability to juggle many tasks and deadlines
- Good sense of humor!
- Solid anti-racist analysis and practice
- Willingness to learn new software and technologies (we will share skills in project management software, Mailchimp, enough Drupal/CMS to add and edit content on our website, etc.)
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to set and keep timelines, delegate tasks, and set priorities
- Experience working in a non-profit, activist organization
- Organizational development, particularly within a multi-racial, collective, social justice-oriented setting
- Ability to stay on top of email, google docs, and digital communication
- Good writing and communication skills
- Basic skills in bookkeeping & Excel/spreadsheets, and navigating databases
- Fundraising and grant-writing experience
- Experience with collective decision-making
Desired skills and experience:
- Connection with alternative mental health movement
- Supremely badass writer
- Photoshop, InDesign, and basic HTML/CSS
Compensation: $20 per hour, 20 hours a week, paid as independent contractor. We are unable to offer benefits at this time.
Please submit a cover letter, including information on your connection to mental health organizing and/or healing justice, your CV, and 3 references to icarusnycjobcontact@gmail.
com by October 11th. If you want to submit other interesting things - a writing sample, a piece of art - feel free!