Skip to main content

Catalyzing worker co-ops & the solidarity economy

Birthplace of Co-operative Movement under US Hedge Fund Attack

The Co-operative Group traces its history directly to the Rochdale Pioneers – recognised by the International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) as the birthplace of the co-operative movement.  The Co‑operative Group is currently under threat from US hedge funds because its banking subsidiary – The Co-operative Bank – has been forced to plug a £1.5 billion ‘shortfall’ in its capital reserves.  A few months ago, the Co-operative Group put forward a proposal to hold 70% of shares in a restructured bank, with the other 30% held by bondholders.  Investors - led by New York hedge funds Silver Point and Aurelius Capital, taking advice from the investment bank Moelis – have rejected this proposal.  Under a new proposal, outside investors will take a 70% stake and reduce the the Co-operative Group’s stake to 30%.

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.