On Monday September 14, news broke that Mountain Equipment Co-op’s board of directors had unanimously approved a deal to sell MEC’s assets to a private U.S. firm. MEC never asked its members (more than 5 million) to weigh in.
What happened to Co-operative Principle #2 – Democratic Member Control?
In this episode, we dig into the background stories and asked these important questions:
- How did Mountain Equipment Co-op get started?
- Where is the accountability? The board? Management?
- What’s changed over the last 10 years?
- What can be done legally to stop the sale?
- What is the effect on Canada’s co-op sector?
- How are members taking action?
Have a listen.