What does a community food system mean?
• It means producing healthy food locally.
• It means producing food in a way that reduces harm to the environment.
• It means distributing, marketing and consuming that food locally.
• It means putting control of food production into the hands of the people who are eating it.
• It means providing access to good for all people, regardless of social or economic constraints.
• It means educating the community about food and nutrition.
• It means creating local jobs and small businesses and multiplying the effect of every dollar spent locally on food.
When we change the way food is produced and change the minds of the people who eat it, we have the power to change a whole community.
- People's Grocery, West Oakland, CA
Include the citation below and GEO Newsletter grants permission to copy, use, and distribute this article.
Permission not for commercial or for-profit use.
©2007 GEO, P O Box 115, Riverdale MD 20738